Thursday, February 25, 2010

EW, TOFU? WHAT, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

We buy a few pounds of tofu every week. My kids ask for more. But then again, my kids don't know anything but vegetarianism.

Most people tell me that they think tofu is gross. Well...you know...I don't like all tofu either. If it's the right kind and it's made certain ways it is very tasty!

BAKED TOFU

Baked Tofu
We often bake our tofu. We buy firm, organic tofu.

Once the package is open - dry it in paper towels, gently squeezing to eliminate excess moisture.

Then slice it to about 1/4 inch think 1.5"x1.5" pieces.

Cover a baking sheet in aluminum foil and add a light base of oil.

Lay the tofu on the oil. Brush with organic BBQ sauce (I like Organicville brand). Coat both sides.

Toss the baking sheet in the oven at about 350 degrees, oh, I'd say check it in 5-10 minutes, turning as necessary.

Serve with steamed or fresh vegetables and other sides as desired.

GENERAL TAO'S TOFU

My husband found himself on vegweb.com again last week. This recipe was very good!

ingredients
1 lb firm tofu
egg substitute for 1 egg (I like Kingsmill Egg Replacer powder)
3/4 cup cornstarch
oil for frying
up to 1 tbsp ground ginger powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
2/3 cup vegetable stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
3-4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp white vinegar
method
1. drain, dry, cut tofu into 1" cubes
2. create egg using replacer and add 3 additional tbsp of water
3. dip tofu in 'egg' - sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely - watch that the cornstarch doesn't clump up
4. heat oil in pan and fry tofu until golden. set tofu aside. drain any remaining oil.
5. heat 5 tbsp of oil over medium heat in the pan.
6. add ginger & garlic, cook 2 minutes - do not burn garlic
7. add veg stock, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar
8. mix 2tbsp water with 1 tbsp cornstarch and pour into mixture, stirring well.
9. add fried tofu and coat evenly.
serve with steamed broccoli and rice.
devour.

TOFU PAD THAI

I currently buy a vegan pad thai sauce but am looking for a good recipe for a vegan pad thai sauce.

I fry together, basically whatever I've got- such as:

cubed tofu
broccoli
onions
mushrooms
cauliflower
carrots

I then add 1 packet of sauce. I think it's House of Thai brand...I'll have to check that...I get it at Zehrs. It doesn't contain fish.

The rice noodles are easy to cook. Basically boil a big pot of water. Once boiling, remove it from the heat. Put the noodles in the water and cover with a lid for 7 minutes. The noodles should be done at this point.

After draining the noodles, add them to the pan of vegetables/tofu, add another packet of sauce and mix well. Once plated you could add crushed peanuts to the top as a tasty garnish.

Grab your chop sticks and go to town on this one, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment