Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Quick Basmati and Nut Pilaf

Quick Basmati and Nut Pilaf
This is probably my favourite rice recipe.

I wish I knew what cookbook it's from.  I tore the page out (totally not like me to do that to a book) and the title of the book is not on the page I have.

This serves about 4 or more people. 

I purchase and use as much organic ingredients as possible.

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups basmati rice
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground coriander
4 cardamom pods
2 cups vegetable stock or water
1/2 cup raw cashews

Method

1.  Wash the rice, drain well.

2.  In a large pan, gently fry the onion, garlic and carrot in the oil for a few minutes.

3.  Stir in the rice and spices and cook for a minute or two so that the grains are coated in oil.

4.  Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer very gently for about 10 minutes or so 'til the rice is cooked.

5.  Stir in the nuts and let sit with a lid on the pan to soften the cashews.

Remember to remove the caradamom pods.

No comments:

Post a Comment