Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Veggie Chicken & Portabellos on Rice

Alot of the recipes you'll find me posting are no-brainers. It's no secret...I'm not a cook...by any stretch! So, for now, I'll just post some easy stuff for those just figuring out what to make vegan with some cheats like premade veggie meats.

Local grocery stores are now carrying meat analogs which are helpful when you don't know where to start, you don't have time to cook...yada yada yada.

This recipe uses Blue Menu frozen veggie chicken breasts. I got them at Zehrs in the frozen section. Look for the blue box!

*I also use these veggie chicken breasts to make veggie chicken parmagiana.

ingredients

2 Blue Menu veggie chicken breasts, thawed in the microwave (not too long, you'll dry them out), chopped into bite size pieces

4 portabello mushrooms, chopped bite size pieces

1 small onion sliced

1 small green pepper, cored, sliced

3 large tomatoes, chunked

Italiano seasoning to taste

cayenne pepper powder to taste

oil

1 cup basmati rice (cooks to become 4 cups)

method

1. Get the rice cookin' - I like to use the microwave. The basmati rice package has directions.

2. Put about 3 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Heat on medium high.

3. Put the onion, pepper and tomatoes in the frying pan. Fry 'til onion and peppers are getting soft. Add Italiano and cayenne to taste. By now this smells really good, right?

4. Add the veggie chicken and mushrooms. Heat through.

5. Serve on bed of rice, or if you're more into pasta - serve over cous cous, fettucine or quinoa.

I didn't take a pic. Sorry. I don't think about it when I'm cooking. Whatever.

Add other veggies to this too, like maybe zucchini and other mushroom types.

No comments:

Post a Comment