Monday, August 17, 2009

Easy Vegan

The above title can be taken more than one way...you decide!

I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination...so what I do cook is easy. Hence Easy Vegan.

Many years ago I learned about the cruelty to animals in the food industry. I had no idea. I had never made the connection that beef = cow and pork = pig....Many people know so little about the food animal industry...we are kept ignorant by the big food producers. When you learn about the cruelty, unless you're heartless, I don't know how you can't become vegan. I don't eat animals (including honey) and I don't wear animals (leather, silk, wool....)

I encourage people to attend the Toronto Vegetarian Food Fair. It is held annually (usually 2nd weekend in September) at Queens Quay (harbourfront), Toronto. Google Toronto Vegetarian Food Fair or Toronto Vegetarian Association for more info. There are guest speakers, food tables, book tables, cooking supplies, food court tent, animal rights group tables, demonstrations...If you go, take a bag with you to carry the hand outs, flyers and items you purchase. It's a great way to try vegetarian/vegan food. Lovely location. The Fair takes place on a Friday evening and then the following Saturday and Sunday.

I don't eat anything that had a face or came from something with a face.

I encourage people to read labels and to know what they are eating. I have a book called The Food Lover's Companion. It is basically a dictionary of food terms. Awesome.

Being vegan is easy. It really is. For those of you who don't know where to start, maybe I can help. I have created some 'old recipe favourites' vegan style which I will post here. Comfort food, if you will.

I will also post some other vegan favourites.

For quick, easy reading on the subject, why not go to the Brantford Public Library to sign out The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living. Lots of great info in there. There are tons of books and websites on the subject.

For my friends who are curious about veganism or for those who truly want to convert - please enjoy this blog. I will post pictures, hopefully, as I make the recipes so that you can see what they look like.

Brantford Vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment