Monday, August 17, 2009

Vegan Alfredo Sauce


Dairy is sometimes a tough product to emulate in the vegan world. The natural food companies are giving it their all these days with super alternatives out there! Seems everyone has a new beverage out there whether it's made with soy, rice, hemp, almonds, oats...you name it! I personally like Natura original and Silk's chocolate. Both are soy.

Anyway, I found a vegan alfredo sauce that I must share. Alfredo was never one of my favourites in my prevegan days, however, this one is sure to please your non vegan friends and family.

ingredients

1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine
2 cups plain soy milk
1 pkg extra firm Mori-Nu silken tofu (349g)
2 tbsp white cooking wine
2 tbsp onion powder
3 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
3 - 4 tbsp of cornstarch

method

Combine all ingredients except corn starch in a food processor. Blend until creamy smoothe. Put it in a sauce pan on the stove to heat it up. Bit by bit add the cornstarch while whisking to obtain desired thickness/consistency. Don't make it too thick.

Serve over pasta with steamed broccoli (& salad/bread) - OR - serve over rice with fried mushrooms and peas.

**FYI - I bought non alcoholic white wine at the grocery store. Since this recipe only calls for 2 tbsp, I froze the rest in ice cube trays in the freezer. They freeze 'cause there is no alcohol! Woo hoo! The ice cube tray sections hold 2 tbsp. Fabulous. I have placed them in a labelled bag in the freezer. They are ready to go anytime I'm cooking and need white wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment